YTD: 257/600 miles for 2012
So for the past two weeks, BLC & I have been training at the track around the corner from our apartment for Reach The Beach: NJ.
I have been loving it. I haven’t run on a track since high school & I’m so glad we finally headed over there!
Since I love it so much & now think everyone should find a track to run on – I thought I would give you my top 10 reasons why I love the track!
10 Reasons Why I Love the Track
1. You can run on them at night & feel safe because there are lights!!
BLC & I ran an easy 3 miler at 8pm on Monday at the track. It was perfect because the track was perfectly lit so there was no chance of tripping (which I am really good at) or getting mugged. Important things.
2. Water Fountains. I love not having to bring or buy water during a relatively shorter run or speed work, especially in the summer. Amazing.
3. People watching. I don’t know if this occurs at all tracks but at the track we frequent (for a whole two weeks) there are a lot of interesting people to look at. & I get to look at them over and over again because I get to pass them numerous times. Yesterday there were guys break dancing in the corner & a children’s soccer practice. Pure entertainment.
4. Better for your legs because the track is rubber and gives a bit more than concrete or asphalt. With BLC’s shin splint issues, this is super important.
My legs love you, Mr. Track.
5. You can run with others who run at different speeds than you & not totally lose them. So if you want to do intervals but your run-friend wants to run easy, you can both head to the track together & do your own thing & still be able to leave together. Easy peasy.
6. Speed work is much easier. Yesterday BLC & I did some speed work at the track. I ended up sprinting 1 lap, recovery jog for 2 laps & repeated 3 times. I love speed work & this was so much easier than having to keep looking down at my Garmin over and over again.
7. Passing people. Road kill. I definitely get passed plenty but it’s still kinda fun to pass people on your sprints on the track. Even better if you can lap them
8. Takes me back to high school track. I only ran track for two years & pretty much sucked but still. The track makes me feel a little nostalgic. Kinda. Sorta.
9. I am one of those people who absolutely loves having a tangible distance to run. I will constantly be saying, “Sprint to that post.” or “Slow down till the end of the bridge.” in my head while I’m running. When I’m at the track, I can accurately figure out how much further I need to sprint or recover. I also love knowing when I’m exactly half way done my run or when I only have 1 lap left. But that may just be me.
10. No pot holes or stop lights – and if you do fall – its a little softer than asphalt. I love not having to worry about falling or having to stop at every light.
& that’s why I love the track! I recommend if you’ve never been!
Do you run on a track? If so, what do you love about it?